Thursday, August 13, 2009

My weekly thrifty finds




The following photos are of a LIME GREEN (yes, my all time favorite color since the 8th grade) jacket - $1.00 (1/2 off all clothing at a thrift store) , Persol sunglasses - 25 CENTS! , and a vintage jewelry box $2.00 (more photos and my plans in the next post).

Yes, I have more lime green in my closet than one person needs. But, I love this jacket.

The sunglasses have a story. I was checking out at the thrift store with the LIME GREEN jacket. There was a ginormous basket at the check-out filled to the brim with sunglasses. The sign read 25 cents. I peered inside with my right eye. Yes, that's correct. I skimmed the basket contents with my right eye. I reached in and grabbed this pair. I had my own sunglasses perched on my head. Mine are huge and kind of blingy, but I was in the mood for something different. I put on the basket sunglasses and asked the gal at the cash register if they looked alright. She was sweet and said they looked great. I bought them because they felt great on my face. I had NO CLUE what brand they were. They were in the bag and I thought I should check thru the basket to see if I liked anything else. I looked at EVERY pair in there and thought they were all junk. Later that evening, I was at home and pulling out my new treasures. I put on the glasses and saw the "Made In Italy" marking and the Persol name. No clue what Persol was, I decided to look it up. YES, that pair is going for $171.00 and that's with a 36% discount!

The moral of the story is to go with your first instinct and sometimes you only need to use one eye!

1 comment:

  1. Goodie, Goodie for you as to the designer sun glasses and the lamps, Pacific, whatever.

    Recently at a yard sale where they had many items they bought from Lowe's (like Home Depot, if you don't have Lowe's). They were discontinued items or ones they only had a few of. They sell the piles to people who work there who are having a benefit for another emloyee.

    So far in the five years we have lived here we have attended two of these sales.

    Point is, I really scored big on two sets of lampshades. One was Waverly Toile fabric that exactly matches fabric I bought at a going-out-of-business sale at a fabric store, and want to have a wing chair re-done in it. The price for such lampshades would be $50 each and I got them for $2 for the set.

    Same sale, all-silk shades, $2 ech. Of course they are new in the wrap.

    Jo in southern Virginia

    ReplyDelete